Overall crime in the city of Henderson is slightly up as the Henderson Police Department released its May report Thursday.
Topping the reports were assaults and thefts with 34 reported of each. There were 37 assaults reported in April and 27 counts of theft. Criminal mischief saw a slight increase with 10 counts reported in May, up one from April.
There were 10 counts of criminal trespass, up significantly from three reported in April.
Burglaries remained relatively low last month with five counts of burglary of vehicles, three counts of burglary of a building and two counts of burglary of habitation.
HPD reported a higher number of drug related reports in May. There were nine counts of possession of marijuana, up from four in April. There were seven counts of possession of a controlled substance, up from two the month before. HPD also reported one count of possession of a dangerous drug in May.
As far as traffic goes, officers issued 119 citations, up from 75 given in April. There were 421 written warnings issued last month. HPD responded to 29 accidents in May, up from 17 in April and down from 40 in March.
Officers received 879 calls for service, with 805 calls being dispatched and 74 being officer initiated. HPD made 52 arrests in May, up from 37 in April.
The Henderson Animal Center took in a total of 220 animals last month, up from 197 sheltered in April.
There were 84 animals taken in from the city, including 84 dogs and 10 cats. The center received 197 animals from the county, including 98 dogs, 80 cats and one other animal. Animal control reported 10 pick-ups in May.
According to the report, 65 dogs, 58 cats and one other animal were adopted.
Eleven animals were reclaimed and 39 animals were euthanized. Animal control officers issued 10 warnings, no citations and received more than 640 calls last month. The center has received 4,188 animals since Oct. 1.
Crime statistics, according to reports produced each dat by the HPD and printed in The Henderson News in May, include the following:
• 34 counts of assault (Class A & C), theft;
• 10 counts of criminal mischief, criminal trespass;
• Nine counts of harassment, possession of marijuana;
• Seven counts of forgery, possession of a controlled substance;
• Six counts of disorderly conduct;
• Five counts of aggravated assault, burglary of a vehicle, debit/credit card abuse,
• Four counts of city ordinance violation,
• Three counts of burglary of a building, driving while intoxicated, public intoxication;
• Two counts of burglary of habitation, reckless damage, resist arrest search or transport, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle; and
• One count of animal cruelty, sexual assault, criminal trespass of habitation, driving while license invalid, evading arrest, failure to comply, failure to comply upon striking unattended vehicle, failure to identify, failure to stop and give information, display of fictitious motor vehicle registration, kidnapping, possession of dangerous drug, sexual abuse of child, theft of aluminum, bronze or copper wire, theft of firearm.